Monday, June 28, 2010

This Old House

Howdy all! I am preparing a big birthday post for Eily, but in the interim, I wanted to offer up some progress photos of the kitchen. Jesse and I (mostly Jesse) have been working our tails off to get this room finished, and while we still have a lot of work ahead of us, the end is at least now in sight! Enjoy!

In the beginning:

These were the walls - wood paneling and wall paper over plaster walls (January).



Ripping out the cabinets and sink.



Tearing down the paneling and plaster and opening up the ceiling (January - February).





Jim helps us run brand new electrical through the entire room (March).



Zak cuts a huge hole in the side of our house! (April)



Andy helps out with the drywall (May).



After 5 months, we finally have walls again!



The giant hole is replaced by the new French door.



Freshly primed walls & ceiling (June).



Paint!



(Yes, it's orange. No, it's not quite the orange we intended. Yes, we've decided to keep it!)

Remember the refrigerator that got shoved into an old pantry by the previous owners? It's gone!



This is how the floor looked on Thursday at 5 p.m.



Floor around 6p.m.



And a side by side of the floor at 5 p.m. v. the floor at 7p.m.



All we have to do now is stain and polyurethane the floor this week so we can start building the cabinets that are currently sitting in boxes in the neighbor's garage. One of these weeks soon we'll be posting the "finished product!"

4 comments:

  1. Looks awesome Jess. I like the orange, nice and bright and goes well w/ the floors! Can't wait to see the finished look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color...small houses should be bright and fun! looks great. maybe i can get up there and help build some cabinets! See you guys in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhhh that orange looks like the color I painted my bedroom at my first apartment. Jesse, do you remember that room?! It felt like being in a crazy house...but I'm sure it will be much better in a kitchen. It just wasn't a great bedroom color. I'm so excited about the progress!! It looks great! I can't wait to make you some fantastical things from that cookbook when I come visit!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That floor is really incredible Jessa! Tell Jesse he's doing an awesome job! :) I can't wait to see the final pics (and I bet you can't wait to take them!).

    ReplyDelete